Due to lack of participation from some cities and a recent request from a participating city, the Pembina County Commission has revised its Self Help program guidelines to allow full benefit of the program to participating cities. Starting in 2021 each city may submit up to two applications.
Currently each of Pembina County’s 11 cities can apply for up to $1,500 as the county’s match to a local project. Cities can apply for a specific city project (i.e. sidewalks, street repairs), and/or cities can allow another organization like the park district or other non-profit entity to apply for one of its projects (i.e. outdoor skating rink, city park upgrades).
The county budgets a total of $16,500 each year to support projects in Pembina County cities, however in recent years $4,500-$6,000 has been left unutilized based on a lack of applications. Beginning with the 2021 program, updates include:
- Each city can submit up to two applications for two separate projects. Both projects are not required to be city projects. For example, the park district or other non-profit organization can apply for a project if agreed to by a city. However, a Pembina County city must be the applicant.
- City council meeting minutes must reflect what project is being applied for, regardless of whether it is a city project or a project of another non-profit organization.
- Projects can be located outside city limits provided a Pembina County city agrees to be the applicant.
- The maximum county match for each application is $1,500. This must be matched dollar for dollar by the city or other entity the city is applying on behalf of.
- Should more than 11 applications total be received in any program year, the County Commission will determine which projects receive the matching county funds. Cities submitting two applications are asked to identify which application is the first priority if only one application is funded.
- The county is not obligated to allocate the entire $16,500 budgeted annually for this program.
A fillable PDF application can be found here: https://redriverrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/2021-Pembina-County-Self-Help-Program-Application.pdf
For cities submitting more than one application, please note that applicants must specify in the top section whether the application is priority #1 or #2. If the county does not fund all applications received, this will be considered when determining funding priorities. The deadline to submit applications for the 2021 program is December 15, 2021.
The Pembina County Self Help Program began in the 1990s and has been managed by the Red River Regional Council (RRRC) on behalf of the county since its inception. The goal of the program is to utilize county funds to support community betterment projects in Pembina County cities.